Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Chronicles of Benda Sial

I've always wanted to have one of this, a blog, but felt as though it was too self-righteous. But writing has always been, for me and I'm sure many others, soul-healing. There's just something about the non-verbal that puts me at ease. Maybe its' the fact that words don't judge. People do. Or maybe its the sound of silence, definately a welcoming change from my persona. To those who know me, they'd know what I'm talking about :)



For those who don't, I'm Anis. Let's just leave it at that.



I'm turning 25 in December. Just like other 25 year olds, I'm trying hard to find my footing in this world. However, unlike other 25 year olds, I actually literally am trying to find my footing. And when I say literally, I mean not tripping every 20 minutes, or getting my hair stuck in the car window while winding it up. Ok, I'm exaggerating. I don't trip every 20 minutes. It's more like every hour. No joke.



I've met many clumsy people along the way of tripping over my own left foot and hitting my face on the ground, but none as bad as me. I don't think I'm clumsy, mind. I just think I'm a magnet for all things screwy. I still remember when I was 17, a friend asked sympathetically, "Apasal sume benda sial jadi kat you?" (Why do all bad things happen to you?) I couldn't answer him then, and 7 and a half years down, I still can't.



This blog is created specifically for those who've had one of those mishaps where you wished you died at that very moment and instantly reincarnated as a polar bear, living in solace in the North Pole. It's always good to know that however bad you feel after a 'traumatic' experience , there's always someone out there going through something worse, and rest assured, it would be me 99.9% of the time.



..... And fyi, my blog title is an intended pun. I have literally walked in the blistering cold, for what it felt like a good mile, in the opposite direction. All in the name of strawberry milk and 'Blockbuster DVD Rentals'. Adelaide, sheesh. Anyway, back to me being a magnet for horrifying things, this 'jinx' don't just have an effect me. They also affect people around me. Ask my close friends and family, and they would testify to it, although reluctantly. So yeah, I don't even know where to begin.



I can't exactly pinpoint when Mother Nature decided to make me the main attraction of the circus, but the earliest memory I had was when i was 6. I had three girl cousins living just five minutes from me, and it was the best thing a 6 year old could want. The four of us would have the loveliest of times, playing doctor and patient, Barbie dolls, hide and seek and every other game a child could imagine. And it was also during one of those playdates that I had my first taste of embarrasment.

I came over with a head full of hair, and went home with a bald patch :S

Yes, somehow or rather, in between the Barbies, playing catch and saving drowning kittens (one of my cousins decided to flush them down the toilet bowl), I still found the time to get my hair unwillingly tangled in a brush. It was beyond saving. Thus, the bald patch was born. And little did I know, the mess that I got into was a meager example of what was to come 19 years on....

No comments:

Post a Comment